Find out About the RYA Advanced Powerboat Course / Certification
Find an Advanced Powerboat Course / Exam
The RYA Advanced Powerboat is a 2 day (and 1 night) course that builds confidence and competency in boat handling, seamanship, pilotage, and navigation in more challenging conditions (day & night). An examination is required for candidates who wish to attain an Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence (‘CoC’). A commercially endorsed CoC allows the individual to operate craft commercially up to 20 miles from a safe haven by day or night. It is a step-up license from the Power Boat Level II, suitable for deck crew looking to operate larger tenders, further distances with confidence and competence.
Course prerequisites / assumed knowledge.
- Competent handling to the standard of the Intermediate Powerboat Certificate
- Knowledge of navigation and chartwork to the level of Coastal Skipper
- First aid certificate (Elementary First Aid as part of STCW Basic Training meets the requirement) (a prerequisite for the exam)
- VHF SRC or higher certificate (a prerequisite for the exam)
The course runs over a minimum of 2 days which must include at least 1-night navigation exercise.
- Preparation for Sea
- Boat Handling
- Passage Making and Responsibility as Skipper
- Rules of the Road
- Use of Engines
- Emergency Situations
- Night Cruising
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to plan and execute coastal trips and return to a familiar port or superyacht by day and night.
Those who wish to obtain an Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competency must pass the Advanced Powerboat Examination
RYA Advanced Powerboat Exam (Practical)
Seatime required: (If the below sea time requirement is met, and the student has the required knowledge, the exam can be taken without completing the Advanced Powerboat course. Completion of the course will reduce the sea time and experience requirement. Please view information on the RYA website or contact a training provider through the links at the bottom of this page for more details)
- 30 days at sea, which may be reduced to 20 days at sea if an RYA Advanced Powerboat course completion certificate is held;
- 2 days as skipper;
- 800 miles, which may be reduced to 400 miles if an RYA Advanced Powerboat Course completion certificate is held;
- 12 night hours.
Certification / qualifications required:
- A GMDSS-compliant Marine Radio Operator's Certificate such as the RYA Short Range Certificate or higher
- Valid first aid certificate (the STCW Elementary First Aid meets these requirements for yacht crew who have completed their basic training.
- 4-7 hours depending on the number of candidates. COntact an exam facilitator to find out more information.
Commercially Endorsed Advanced Powerboat Coc (Certificate of Competence)
Provided the exam is passed and the prerequisites are met, this certificate can be commercially endorsed with allowing the crew members to drive commercial vessels up to 24m in length, subject to MCA’s codes of practice, the flag under which the vessel operates as well as the region. This makes the course a viable option for the crew members who need to drive large tenders but do not hold Yachtmaster certifications.