The course is aimed at crew members who are looking to engage in more adventurous tender runs during the day or night as per their vessel's requirements. This course focuses on boat handling, seamanship, day & night pilotage and coastal navigation of the standards required to drive a powerboat safely by day and night in tidal coastal waters.
Course prerequisites / assumed knowledge.
- Competent to the standard of the Intermediate Powerboat Certificate
- Knowledge of navigation and chartwork to the level of Coastal
- Skipper / Yachtmaster shore based certificate.
- First aid certificate recommended (a prerequisite for the exam)
- VHF certificate recommended (a prerequisite for the exam)
The course will run over a minimum of 2 days which must include at least 1-night navigation exercise.
- Preparation for Sea
- Boat Handling
- Passage Making and Responsibility as Skipper
- Rules of the Road
- Use of Engines
- Emergency Situations
- Night Cruising
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to plan and execute coastal trips and return to a familiar port by night.
RYA Advanced Powerboat Exam (Practical)
- 2 years of relevant experience including night pilotage.
- As a guide 30 days, 2 days as skipper, 800 miles, 12 night hours.
- If you hold an RYA Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate the sea time is reduced to 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours.
- All qualifying sea time must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
Certification / qualifications required:
- GMDSS Short Range Certificate (or higher grade)
- Valid first aid certificate
- 4-7 hours depending on the number of candidates (3 max)
Commercially Endorsed Advanced Powerboat Coc (Certificate of Competence)
Provided the exam is passed the prerequisite are met, this certificate can be commercially endorsed allowing the crew members to drive commercial vessels up to 24m in length, subject to MCA’s codes of practice. This makes the course a viable option for the crew members who need to drive large tenders but have do not hold Yachtmaster certifications.
Send the following items to RYA Certification, RYA House, Ensign Way, Hamble, Hampshire SO31 4YA:
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence
- Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate
- A commercial endorsement application form - see link on the right
- ENG1 medical fitness form
- A copy of your STCW Personal Survival Techniques
- A copy of your RYA Marine Radio SRC Certificate or other acceptable GMDSS Marine Radio Operator's Certificate.
- A passport-sized photo with your name on the back
- The application fee