WSET stands for the Wine and Spirit Education Trust.
The purpose of the trust is to provide the best-in-class education and qualifications to inspire and empower the world’s wine and spirits professionals and enthusiasts. The trust has developed a training framework that helps educate candidates while at the same time providing identifiable levels of competency through WSET certifications.
WSET qualifications are globally recognized as the international standard in wine and spirit knowledge. They are designed for those who are just starting out in their careers, as well as established professionals. The courses are also an attractive training option for wine and spirit for enthusiasts who would like to enhance their knowledge and understanding.
WSET Wine Training for Yacht Steward/Stewardess Crew
Wine & Spirits service forms an important part of a steward/stewardess's duties on board a yacht or superyacht.
The WSET levels provide candidates with a level of certification that is recognized by relevant employers. It ensures a certain level of competence is gained, prior to onboard training specific to the yacht and the guest requirements.
Holding WSET qualifications allows candidates to interact with guests at a higher level while at the same time providing valuable assistance to senior service staff as well as the chefs.
Wine and spirit duties are usually assigned to the more senior crew who have required levels of guest experience combined with the relevant training. Holding the certifications and knowledge associated with the training will allow a faster progression while learning on the job. Service staff working on smaller yachts are likely to take on wine and spirit duties at an earlier stage, where the required knowledge and confidence will be even more crucial.
Although the courses and certifications are sought after in the yachting industry, they are broadly accepted in hospitality and recognized by various sectors.
WSET Wine Award Levels (1-4)
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
Study Time: 6 hours
Format: Online or in Class
Examination: Multiple Choice Paper
Entry Requirements: You must be of legal drinking age in the country where you are attending the course to participate in any alcohol tasting. (This is not a requirement to completing the qualification.)
For individuals new to wine study, this course provides a sound but simple introduction to wines.
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to store and serve wine
- The principles of food and wine pairing
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines
Study Time: 28 hours
Format: Educator-guided online or classroom time and personal study
Examination: Multiple-choice paper
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking, and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties
- The style and quality of wines:
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of Sparkling & Fortified wines
- Key labeling terms used to indicate origin, style, and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine.
- Principles of food and wine pairing
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines
Study Time: 84 hours
Format: Educator-guided online or classroom time & personal study
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
- How these key factors influence the key characteristics of the principal:
- Still wines of the world
- Sparkling wines of the world
- Fortified wines of the world
- How to apply your understanding to explain wine style and quality
- How to taste wines, describe their characteristics and evaluate their quality, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines
Study Time: 500 hours
Format: Educator-guided online or classroom time and personal study (over 6 units ranging from viticulture to the business of wine)
Examination: Varies by unit
- Wine production
- Vine requirements
- Anatomy of the vine and grape
- Grape growing options, explaining and evaluating the different approaches and how these options affect grape yields, quality and the final wine produced
- Natural factors in the vineyard and how they influence the vine’s ability to produce grapes for wines of different styles, quality levels and price
- Winemaking and post-fermentation options and how they influence the style, quality and price of wines
- Wine business
- The types of businesses engaged in wine production and the options for getting wine to the point of sale
- Factors that contribute to the price of wine
- Key considerations in wine marketing
- Wines of the world, Sparkling wines, Fortified wines- How grape-growing, winemaking, maturation, wine law and wine business influence the style, quality and price of the wines.
- How to taste and evaluate still wines using the WSET Level 4 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine®(SAT)
- Independent research assignment
- How to research a specified wine-related subject
Levels 1, 2 & 3:
Upon successful completion of WSET Level 1, 2, or 3, candidates will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET-certified logo.
Those who successfully complete the Diploma will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the post-nominal “DipWSET” and associated WSET certified logo. You will also become a member of the WSET Alumni Body, with access to quarterly reports and a number of exclusive events.
WSET Online Training
WSET training can be done online, making it extremely convenient for candidates or crew who are on a busy schedule. It also provides a great opportunity to improve your knowledge from anywhere in the world.
Select the link below to find the best WEST online trainers available:
WSET Wine Training Near Me
Looking to find a WSET training provider in a location near you? SImply select the course that you are looking for and refine by using the location filter on the results page.