The VHF radio forms part of the vessels safety equipment onboard, which is why it is important to understand the protocols and procedures. It is a mandatory requirement should you want to upgrade your certifications and progress in your career. This is a one day course for anyone that owns or fixes marine VHF radios.
- Basics of radio operations
- Correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital selective calling (DSC) using simulators
- GMDSS – Global maritime distress and safety system
- Emergency position indicating radio beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and rescue (SART)
This course is followed by an exam that is usually run by a different RYA assessor and has to be registered for separately to the course in most cases. The exam usually has a separate exam fee.