On successful completion of this course, candidates will be able to skipper a yacht <200GT with no mileage restrictions. This course also enables candidates to drive large superyacht tenders and be a valuable attribute of the yachts safe manning schedule.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Hold a valid Seafarers Medical Certificate (ENG1 or equivalent)
- Hold a valid Basic Safety Training Certificate
- Hold a valid GMDSS General Operators Certificate (GOC)
- Candidates must have documentary evidence of 2500 Nm logged approved seagoing service, 100 hours of which must be carried out during night-time whilst holding a TM MOY <200GT 150NM or equivalent.
- Introduction to Celestial Nav
- The Sextant
- Astro Nav & Time
- Compass Checking
- World Weather Systems & Patterns
- Passage Planning
- Survival During Maritime Emergencies
On successful completion of the training and assessment trainees shall be able to:
- Be familiar with the marine sextant and be able to adjust for its correctable errors
- Use the marine sextant & celestial bodies to determine their position
- Explain the importance of time with regards to navigation
- Check for compass error by means of Astro navigation
- Plan & undertake an ocean passage whilst taking weather systems into account and position fixing by means of Astro navigation
- Access latest weather & maritime safety information by means of satellite and terrestrial systems
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of procedures to be actioned during an emergency at sea
Tuition & assessments on all the above modules will be completed in 2 weeks.
Can I Obtain a Transport Malta Certificate Of Competency?
Yes, if you would like to upgrade your license and
make it a Transport Malta MOY 200GT Unlimited Area Certificate of Competency, please see below. Candidates of whom have obtained the MOY 200GT Unlimited Area may upgrade their license to a Transport Malta MOY 200GT Unlimited Area CoC by satisfying the following requirements:
• Have documentary evidence of 6 months seagoing service
• Obtain a Leadership & Teamwork Operational Level Certificate
• Obtain a GMDSS ROC
• Successfully pass a Transport Malta Oral Examination*
*Candidates of whom have obtained an RYA/IYT Yachtmaster/Master of Yachts will have to complete the above modules, as well as a 3 day Top Up course to be eligible to sit a Transport Malta oral Examination.