With a Master of Yachts unlimited (200t), the certificate holder is capable of working as a master of a 200-ton vessel in all oceans. It is also a prerequisite for crew members looking to attain their Chief Mate 3000 Coc.
Capabilities acquired through the course.
A certificate holder is capable of navigating globally using a sextant while being able to plan, execute manage and an ocean passage with the ability to use a sextant. This is done while at the same time having a strong understanding of all of the factors involved in meteorology and routing.
Positions capable of working as:
- Master of 200-ton vessel all oceans
- Chief Mate of 150-ton vessel up to 150 nautical miles offshore.
- Chief Mate of 200-ton vessel all oceans
- OOW (Officer of the Watch) on all oceans for vessels up to 500 ton.
Master of Yachts unlimited prerequisites:
- IYT Master of yachts limited certificate (Or an MCA stamped notice of Eligibility)
- ENG1 medical or equivalent that includes eyesight and colour blindness check(valid, within the last 2 years).
- Either two trips of 250 miles, or one trip of 500 miles out of sight of land (This out of sight of land requirement can be satisfied 20 miles or more from a shoreline in specific regions where it is difficult to see satisfy the requirement. Please see the IYT page for more information regarding this.
Master of Yachts Unlimited theory Breakdown upon which candidates will be examined on:
- The earth and the celestial sphere
- The PZX triangle
- The sextant
- Measurement of time
- Meridian altitudes
- Sun sights
- Planet sights
- Starsight planning
- The pole star
- Moon sights
- Compass checking
- Satellite navigation systems
- Great circle sailing
- Passage planning